Does your child extra active??
Is he constantly being reprimanded for his frequent movement??
Do you feel embarrassed when you visit your relatives or friends because of his excessive movement??
There are good news for you, your child has kinetic intelligence according to the theory of multiple intelligence developed by the psychologist Howard Gardner, which says that there are nine types of smarts, one of them is the kinetic-bodily intelligence of your child.
How can you discover that your child has a kinetic intelligence?
If your child has one or more of these qualities, then he enjoys the kinetic-bodily intelligence:
- he is excel in a sport game or more.
- his favorite lesson is sport.
- his favorite hobbies are dancing and acting.
- he has elasticity and high physical strength.
- he enjoys running , jumping , wrestling and similar activities( if at school he may run in the class or punch a friend or jump over the desk).
- he likes to divide and dismantle things and re-install them.
- he always moves and can’t settle in a place for long time.
- he feels bored and distracted if he is not preoccupied with what is going on around him.
- he can mimic the movements or expressions of other people faces.
- he has a dramatic way of expressing himself.
- kinetic language and facial expressions are used frequently during speaking.
- The expressions of his face and body are used frequently when expressing his thoughts and feelings.
- he shows skills in craft such as woodworking , knitting or mechanics.
- he enjoys working with clay or other tactile experience such as finger painting.
- he likes the game of cubes.
- he learn by movement, touch and manual work.
- He is good in the use of his hands and delicate muscles as in knitting, embroidery, drawing or sculpture.
- He often performs better for any task after seeing someone doing it and imitating his movement, and doing the same if he wants to teach others.
- he is walking thinking.
- has tendency to test things and try them instead of seeing them or listening to them.
Now if your child has one or more of these qualities, he has the kinetic-bodily intelligence.
How do you deal with your child in this case?
first thing the child regardless of his behavior in dire need of our confidence in him and our constant encouragement and development of self-confidence, he must be treated with love, patience and understanding.
you must allow your child to move and not be allowed to restrict his movement unless he causes harm to himself or others.
movement is a necessary respiration for the child’s excessive activity, which avoids the tension caused by excess physical energy that is not used.
according to some scientific research findings, a child can achieve 22% of his kinetic needs spontaneously through everyday life, whether on street, at home or at school, so he has much of the remaining kinetic energy. The duty of parents is to encourage their children to exploit this energy by doing useful activities.
In primary classes students with kinetic intelligence may find it difficult to adjust because they need movement and their high levels of energy may cause them to be agitated, restless or impatient.
If you discover that your child has this kind of intelligence, it’s necessary to discuss this with the school so that the school tries to involve him in acting and motor activities and also allow him some movement within the classroom as much as possible during the day.
Your child and other such children can be less accomplished unless they are given opportunities to learn and communicate in their own way, so you should provide them with special treatment methods.
How to teach your child?
This type of children his favorite way to learn is to do things with his body, not just read or hear about it. He may tend to representation in all forms- whether we see in movies or silent.
That is to say, he tends to be applied more practical than theoretical, so the mother or teacher must deal with this type of children to suit their needs.
1- Maths class: your child may not be good at mathematics, but if the mother or teacher is smart and tries to find new ways to teach math rather than traditional theoretical methods, this type of child will excel in mathematics.
- the child is encouraged to study math in the open air such as the balcony or the garden and not in the room atmosphere.
- you can go out with your child and learn him to count on some gravel or clouds and cars, try to find things that your child likes and gather with science to love.
- Apply math education in your daily life or his daily activities such as allowing him to calculate the tools used in cooking, groceries, time estimation and counting games.
- He can also be taught to add, subtract and multiply by using his fingers, when he moves them, he will keep the calculations in his mind.
2- History class: It’s preferable to teach the child history in a way of acting rather than indoctrination. For example, the students represent the battle or the character in the history book( the mother also can play with her child to represent and exchange roles).
Child representation is the preferred method of education for children with kinetic intelligence because they tend to represent and move more than sitting and listening.
3- Geography class: Due to the tendency of those children to play with clay or sand, the mother can use this passion to teach geography.
You can take him to the beach, playing together with sands and embodying the geographical terrains.
Let him write with his fingers the names of the mountains and rivers or plains which studied them in the lesson, let him dig a river similar to that one in the geography lesson and write beside it the name of the river and what he knows about this river.
In this way the child will love the geography and it will turn from boring lesson for him to a fun lesson eagerly waiting for him.
4- Science class: As we said earlier that this kind of children prefer practical education, which requires the activity and movement on the teaching of oral theory that requires sitting and listening, therefore the science lesson is often a favorite lesson for the kinetic child, specially if it includes experiments and school labs.
The mother can also do some simple activities with her child to understand science more, for example, rather than explain the cases of the material orally and ask him to keep in mind their definitions, can simply apply this thing with her child in the working life.
For example, take a class of water and tell him that it’s a liquid, let him touch it and move it during the description to describe the liquid.
Put the water in the freezer to be frozen.
show it to him and tell him that it turned into solid and this process is called an extinction….etc
That was a simple example. Science is the most studied lesson that can be applied in practical life except chemical reactions, it is preferred to be tried only in the laboratory of the school.
5- Sports class: It’s usually the preferred class for this type of children.
If the sport teacher is interested enough in his lesson, he will notice the physical strengths and favorite sports game that characterizes each child.
Discuss with the teacher about your child’ sports talents and work to develop it, you may not be aware that he may someday be a famous soccer player like Cristiano Ronaldo or Messi.
This is not something out of the question.
Cristiano Ronaldo was an ordinary child who loved football, but he developed his passion and ambition until he became the most famous footballer in the world.
6- Art class: Art may also be a favorite lesson for this type of children because it requires intelligent hand movement.
children of this type often excel at drawing because they are good at using the fine muscles of their hands and fingers.
The mother can start teaching her child drawing from his second year and provides him some drawing tools and coloring books.
This kind of intelligence needs to be nurtured by parents to develop it.
You must deal with him as appropriate to his condition, should not be forced to sit and stay calm because it reflects negatively on his psychology and the development of his mind.
Some parents turn to their children to get used to T.V or iPad because they see their child in this case sitting still and not moving and this is very wrong, because it is scientifically the amount of cognitive outcomes for children who watch T.V is 20% lower than their less-watched counterparts.
What activities do I have with my child in such a situation?
Discover your child, discover his(her) strengths, his(her) interests and hobbies and try to develop it.
Here are some activities:
- Take him to the Park and let him run and play freely.
- Give him opportunities to learn by touching and action.
- Involve him in the activities of acting, sports and mobility.
- Give him a chance to practice various handicrafts.
- Give him games that correspond to his intelligence.
- Train your child to imitate the movement of things like butterflies, birds and cars.
- Train your child to express without words.
- Bake together and let him make different shapes with the Dough, wrap them and make them numbers and letters of his name.
The child is the responsibility of his parents and he is the greatest blessing God has given them.
It’s your duty to preserve this grace regardless of the child’ behavior, and be patient until he become young and able to depend on himself.